Soft, chewy, rich chocolate cookies loaded with Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips. Add these to your holiday cookie list!
No holiday cookie tray is complete without some peppermint cookies. I was so excited when these Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips caught my eye. I’ve always been a fan of Andes Candies so I just had to pick them up.
There’s no better way to enjoy them than to pair them up with my favorite double chocolate cookie dough. It’s the same dough I use for my favorite peanut butter candy cookies.
First, I used them to make cake mix cookies which I will never do again. You can read why in my post about my experiment in making cake mix cookies. This recipe on the other hand takes just an extra 15 minutes more (including all the prep time) and is so worth it.
My double chocolate cookie dough uses both cocoa powder and melted chocolate for that extra rich dark chocolate flavor. As with most of my chocolate recipes, I’ve also added a bit of espresso powder to enhance the chocolate. This is completely optional though. Your cookies will taste great no matter what you decide.
To make these cookies, you will first need to melt the chocolate and then combine it with melted butter. Next, sift together all the dry ingredients except for the sugar and set the mixture aside. Then, whisk together the sugar, espresso powder, vanilla and eggs. Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and then fold in the dry ingredients. Finally, mix in the peppermint chips and chocolate chips.
To keep the cookies from spreading too much, you should chill the dough for at least 30 minutes. Then, scoop out tablespoon sized balls and bake them in a 350F oven for about 8 minutes. Keep an eye on them because it’s difficult to tell how much a chocolate cookie has browned!
These cookies turn out soft and chewy with little bursts of peppermint crunch! I prefer these chips to other peppermint chip brands. They have the most minty flavor combined with a white chocolate. Perfect for cookies!
- 1 cup butter, just melted
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder, optional
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave by heating in 20 second increments and stirring in between. Add the butter and stir until mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and espresso powder. Add the eggs and immediately whisk into the sugar and well combine. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in the all purpose flour and cocoa mix. Finally, fold in the peppermint chips and mini chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Scoop 1 Tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes. Let them cool on the sheet pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
If you skip the step to chill your dough be sure to decrease your oven time to 8 minutes. Also know that your cookies will be flatter than those shown in the picture.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 60 Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g