Looking for an easy elegant dessert? Nothing says summer like this fresh strawberry tart with lemon mascarpone.
I’ve been sitting on this post for over a year now. When I went to work on it last month, I realized that I had never written down measurements for my recipe. So I’ve remade this fresh strawberry tart twice so far this summer. Why twice? Well, I did it to check my measurements but also because it’s so easy and such a crowd pleaser! I mean really, who can say no to a fresh strawberry tart with mascarpone and lemon?
STRAWBERRY TART “BETTER THAN SHORTBREAD” CRUST
Although really delicious, my favorite part about this tart is not the filling. It’s actually the crust and the rectangular shape of the tart pan. The crust is easier to make than a flaky pie crust and tastes so buttery and rich. It reminds me of a typical shortbread crust but so much better! Words cannot explain the soft buttery texture and deliciousness of this crust. Plus, it doesn’t involve an electric mixer either which keeps setup and cleanup a little easier.
I have also used this crust in my dark chocolate and orange tart. That recipe uses some almond flour in place of all purpose flour. You really can’t tell the difference and it’s probably a little healthier. You can always do the same for this strawberry tart too.
I love the look of this tart in it’s rectangular shape. It was hard to capture the whole thing in a photo but it makes for a more unique presentation than a round tart and looks beautiful on a buffet table. You can go straight or diagonal with your strawberry slices. Oh and I also like that you can slice it up into neat little bar shapes as you serve it!
STRAWBERRY TART FILLING
The lemon mascarpone filling is just as easy to make as the crust. Unlike classic pastry cream fillings, there’s no cooking involve. Just stir up some mascarpone with sugar, vanilla, and lemon and you’re done! So go ahead and get baking! Strawberry lemon mascarpone tart is calling your name!
Fo the crust
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
For the filling
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar until well blended with a large wooden spoon. Beat in the yolk and salt.
- Add the flour to the butter and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press the dough into a mound. Transfer the dough to a 13 by 4 inch rectangular tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Remove any excess dough from the rim of the pan. Using a fork, poke holes all over the dough to prevent it from puffing up.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake on a lower rack for about 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
- Remove the stems and cut the strawberries into thin slices. Combine the slices in a small bowl with two tablespoons of sugar and mix to coat the slices. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the mascarpone, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Spread the cheese mixture into the cooled tart. Layer the strawberry slices on top of the mixture. Chill until ready to serve.
You may have extra filling left over.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433 Saturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 77mg Sodium: 74mg Carbohydrates: 47g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 18g Protein: 5g