Rangoli Cookies for a Happy Diwali

by Urvashee on November 5, 2010 · 16 comments

Rangoli on Cookies

Happy Diwali everyone! I almost did not make this post since it is a holiday and I really should not be sitting at a computer editing photos and writing. However, I could not resist sharing my latest treats with you. So, I will keep this post short and sweet. Here are some festive Diwali cookies I made this week.

The icing designs are inspired by rangoli, an Indian folk art popular during Diwali and other auspicious occasions. Rangoli is usually painted on doorsteps with colored flour. The designs are mostly symmetrical geometric shapes and are also often inspired by things in nature. It is meant as a decoration, to bring good luck, and welcome visitors. Sadly, I live in condo building and have no front porch to paint on. So, to teach traditions to my two year old, I printed out these rangoli coloring pages and colored with him. For myself, I expressed the art form on a cookie…

rangoli cookiesI made these cookies using a recipe from Aparna at My Diverse Kitchen. Her cookie and icing recipe is completely eggless! I thought this was perfect for the holiday since many of our friends and family do not eat eggs. The only change I made to the recipe was to add a quarter teaspoon each of cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. Hope you enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Paula November 5, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Your cookies are beautiful! Love all the colours you chose. Hope you enjoy a lovely Diwali :)

Sonia{7spice} November 6, 2010 at 12:56 am

Oh Gosh!!! I have never ever seen these kinda cookies! Very innovative idea of Rangoli. Superb! Well done, Uvarshee. :)
Happy Diwali to you and your family!!!

naomi November 12, 2010 at 11:20 pm

These are gorgeous. I just submitted them to Edible Crafts, as she features lots of cookies such a this. Wow-you are such a talented baker!

Aparna November 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I’ve got to tell you that your cookies are drop dead gorgeous! And perfect for the season.

smita November 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Absolutely gorgeous… I love the deigns n the bold colors … truly a treat both for eyes n palate .

GB December 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm

These are amazing! I love what you’ve done with the icing–wish I had the patience (and steady hand, LOL!)

Patricia Scarpin January 7, 2011 at 6:30 am

These are so beautiful! I can’t even find words to describe them – works of art!

Patricia Torres October 23, 2012 at 12:58 am

This is simply awesome.. Can I feature this on my blog?? Please let me know!! Thanks so much..

Archana Joshi November 2, 2012 at 11:49 am

These are so gorgeous !!! Absolutely loved them . Brilliant idea . Will love to try my hand at them this Diwali :)

Rita November 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Happy Diwali!

Your rangoli cookies are so colorful and just inspirational. I feel happy just looking at them. I would like to feature them on my website parsicuisine.com if it is all right with you. Same for the choc bark recipe. Let me know. Best wishes, Rita

Nithya at Hungry Desi November 12, 2012 at 9:43 am

Just came across this as I was looking for Diwali cookies. Beautiful! Happy Diwali!

Btw are you in Hoboken? I think we may have discovered each other on Twitter during Hurricane Sandy too.

Sagar Dalal November 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

Happy Diwali Chef Urvashee!! Your Rangoli cookies were a masterpeice and we truly enjoyed both looking at them and eating them (eating was slightly more fun!). Thank you for making and sharing your gift for making artistic desserts with us this Diwali.

From, Sagar, Ninder and Avaanki!

nidhi October 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Hi Urvashee. Loved the Rangoli cookies. I have linked to them in my post Diwali craft Ideas with a link back to you. Do check it out. Thanks again for this amazing idea.