Spicy Roasted Chickpeas are a spicy, healthy snack for any occasion. You'll be hooked right away!
Spicy roasted chickpeas make a great snack for game day. My dad is usually watching football games with a beer and snacking on pistachios or ghatiya, a deep fried Indian snack made from spices and chickpea flour.
It occurred to me that roasted chickpeas would also go great with beer and make a good healthy snack too. A spiced up version would be perfect for this crowd. Specifically, Indian spicy roasted chickpeas that are coated with garam masala and chaat masala would certainly be a hit.
Really, how can you go wrong with anything coated in garam masala and chaat masala? Garam masala literally means “hot” spice mixture and is a blend of warming spices such as peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cumin and cardamom.
Chaat masala gives everything an instant salty tart flavor that can’t be replicated with regular salt. It gets its distinctive pungent flavor from black salt.
So the next time you are looking for an alternative to chips or nuts to snack on, try out these crunchy spicy chickpeas. They are so easy to prepare and are sure to be a hit with everyone.
Tips for Making Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- To get crunchy roasted chickpeas, be sure to dry the rinsed chickpeas really well. The drier they are, the crunchier they will be.
- Peel the skins if you can, before roasting. This will also help you get crunchier chickpeas.
- Ovens and chickpea brands vary so keep an eye on them while in the oven. Roast for as long as you can without burning them to get them to maximum crispiness.
I first shared this spicy roasted chickpeas recipe on Food Fanatic, so be sure to visit it there along with my other savory recipes.
- 2 15-ounce cans Garbanzo Beans
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare a large sheet pan lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Thoroughly rinse and dry the chickpeas. Use paper towels to remove any excess water.
- Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl.
- Coat the chickpeas with the oil and then mix in the spice mixture.
- Lay them out on the sheet pan and roast for 30-40 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 17gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g
This nutrition information is only an approximate provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. Information comes from Nutritionix, an automated nutrition calculator.