Everyone has a favorite chocolate cake recipe. This one is mine and it is the best chocolate cake. It’s a six inch cake with extra chocolaty flavor, a chocolate lover’s dream come true. This six inch cake is part of my collection of small cake recipes.
This is hands down the best chocolate cake I have ever made!
I’m totally distracted from writing this post because these pictures are making me so hungry for chocolate cake!! This cake has the perfect amount of sweetness, moisture and chocolate flavor. It’s everything a chocolate lover dreams of eating.
The Best Chocolate Cake recipe makes the best cake size!
One of the greatest things about this recipe is that it only makes a small two layer 6 inch chocolate cake. This is the perfect size for a small family or small dinner party dessert.
Everyone can indulge in a slice and you won’t have to feel guilty about eating any leftover cake because there won’t be any! Six inch cakes are my new favorites! I also have a six inch cake recipe for carrot cake. (It’s the best carrot cake too!)
The Best Chocolate Cake has the best ingredients!
Always, use the finest chocolate and cocoa you can get your hands on. I’m a big fan of King Arthur Flour Bensdorp Dutch Processed Cocoa. Coffee enhances the flavor of your chocolate but be sure to use good quality strongly brewed coffee.
Oh and don’t be spooked by the addition of sour cream to a chocolate cake. You won’t taste any of it. Sour cream makes cakes a little more dense and tender due to its higher fat content.
Top this cake with my classic fudge frosting. This is my favorite way to eat chocolate cake but I’m betting that it would taste awesome with other frosting flavors too. Maybe some espresso, Nutella, salted caramel? What do you think?
- 4 ounces all purpose flour
- 1 ½ ounces cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 3 ½ ounces strong coffee, cooled
- 1 batch classic fudge frosting, (see recipe link in post)
- Preset the oven to 350°F. Butter, line with parchment, and flour two 6 inch cake pans.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In an electric mixer, paddle the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- On low speed, alternately add the dry mixture and the sour cream in five total additions starting and ending with the dry mixture. Slowly add the coffee and mix just until the batter becomes smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean. Unmold and cool on racks. (See the tip below for extra moist cake)
- Top the cake layers with your favorite frosting or use my classic fudge frosting recipe.
Tip: To make this cake extra moist, double wrap the cakes while they are slightly warm in saran wrap. Freeze them until they are ready to be frosted. Let them thaw halfway, unwrap and then frost the cake. Allow the cake to thaw completely before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g
This nutrition information is only an approximate provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. Information comes from Nutritionix, an automated nutrition calculator.