These chocolate chip coconut bars remind me of Chili's chocolate chip paradise pie. If you are craving coconut and chocolate these bars are for you!
I was so excited about finally being done with moving the blog over to WordPress last week. I celebrated on Friday by baking up these chocolate chip cookie bars that would also satisfy my coconut and chocolate craving.
In my mind, I was thinking about Chili's chocolate chip paradise pie dessert. Although not as buttery, graham cracker crusted or served on a hot skillet with ice cream, these bars still turned out pretty good. The chocolate chips are baked in as a layer so there are chocolate chips in every bite!
This recipe does not include the glaze! While making them I realized I was out of heavy cream to make a chocolate glaze so I finished them off with a store bought chocolate glaze that I happen to have. I left a portion of it unglazed and later realized I should have skipped the glaze all together.
Turns out the glaze took away from the coconut taste. I'm not sure if it was the idea of glazing it or the quality of the glaze. I think I will have to experiment with that next time. So, if you decide to bake this and really want the coconut taste you have two choices. Skip the glaze, or add more coconut to the recipe.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ sticks butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz chocolate chips
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325F and butter a 9x13 pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In an electric mixer, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slow down the mixer and add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until just combined.
- Spread half of the batter into the pan and then add the chocolate chip on top of this layer.
- Combine the coconut into the remaining batter and spread it over the chocolate chip layer.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 2g
This nutrition information is only an approximate provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. Information comes from Nutritionix, an automated nutrition calculator.