Making frangipane filling is simple and takes only a few minutes with the help of an electric mixer. Follow my simple frangipane recipe and use it in a variety of sweet treats.
Never heard of frangipane? In a nutshell, frangipane is an almond cream filling made with just 5 ingredients: ground almonds, sugar, butter, eggs and bit of flour.
It is not eaten raw but rather baked into the pastry or dessert.
You can read the full scoop and history on frangipane in my post, What is Frangipane?
How to Make Frangipane
Making a batch of frangipane is easier than you may think! You will need:
- Butter: Always use unsalted and room temperature for better mixing.
- Sugar: I use regular granulated sugar.
- Almond Flour: This is the same as almond meal. It can be found in most grocery stores or you can grind your own in a food processor.
- Eggs: Eggs are required to give your filling a rise in the oven.
- Flour or Corn Starch: I've used both in the past and either one works.
I use an electric mixer with a paddle attachment but you if you don’t have an electric mixer you can try using your food processor or mixing it by hand. If mixing by hand, be sure to use softened butter.
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, follow these three steps to make frangipane.
First, cream the butter, sugar and almond flour using the paddle attachment on your electric mixer. Mix until light and fluffy.
Next, add the eggs, on at a time, incorporating each egg before adding the next while mixing on a low-medium speed.
Finally, scrape down the sides and add the flour or corn starch. Give it a quick mix until it’s combined.
Tips for Making, Using, and Storing Frangipane:
- You may add a splash of rum or other liqueur to the frangipane before baking for extra flavor.
- Keep frangipane covered and refrigerated if not using. It can be stored for up to 1 week in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
- If using stored frangipane, let it come to room temperature and loosen it by mixing with a paddle attachment in an electric mixer. It should be light and fluffy.
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup plus 2 TBS sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed and room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- Add the almond flour, sugar and butter to a bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined.
Store the almond flour in air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g
This nutrition information is only an approximate provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. Information comes from Nutritionix, an automated nutrition calculator.