No more mushy quinoa! This fail proof method makes the fluffiest quinoa in your Instant Pot.
I don’t normally take out my Instant Pot to cook simple things that I can boil on the stove. Quinoa, is the one exception. I get perfect quinoa EVERY time I use this method in my Instant Pot.
Getting perfectly cooked quinoa that’s fluffy and not mushy is important because who wants to eat mushy quinoa? Once this quinoa is cooked, it’s tender and loose. This makes it perfect for adding to grain bowls and salads.
How to Cook Instant Pot Quinoa Perfectly
First, always rinse your quinoa for better taste. Quinoa is coated with saponin which gives it a bitter taste. Rinsing will remove the taste. Many brands come packaged pre-rinsed but if you do not know, it’s best to rinse it.
Next, turn your Instant Pot to saute mode. Toast your rinsed quinoa for about 5 minutes and stir to prevent it from sticking. I usually stop toasting when I notice the quinoa sticking despite my stirring.
Once the quinoa is toasted, add your water or broth. Close the lid and set the valve to the sealed position. Turn the pot on to manual mode, 1 minute.
Let the pot naturally release for 15 minutes and then quick release if needed. Open the pot and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
And now for my final trick, to cool the quinoa quickly and create the fluffiest quinoa ever with no mush, remove the quinoa from the Instant Pot immediately after opening. Spread the quinoa into large tray or casserole dish. This keeps any steam from being trapped while cooling and making your quinoa mushy.
Once it’s cooled, you can add it to your favorite quinoa recipes.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- Rinse the quinoa in a large stainer and let it drain.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Saute mode.
- Add the quinoa to the pot and continually stir to toast the quinoa. This should take about five minutes or stop when the quinoa begins to stick to the pan.
- Add the water or broth to the quinoa. Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to the seal position.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual mode, 1 minute.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release for 15 minutes and then quick release by turning the valve.
- Open the pot, fluff with a fork and transfer the quinoa to a large tray if you want it to cool or serve immediately.
- Always use a 1:1 ratio of any amount of quinoa to water.
- Transferring to a large tray prevents the steam from being trapped and making the quinoa mushy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 39Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g