These churro cupcakes are full of cinnamon flavor. Their cinnamon sugar tops add a crunchy texture to the soft, fluffy inside, just like churros! If you like dipping your churros in chocolate, these cupcakes take care of that too with their rich chocolate cream cheese frosting.
Last week, I made these churro cupcakes for a Cinco de Mayo party. I thought they were the perfect Mexican theme cupcakes. Really though, do we need an actual holiday to enjoy these amazing churro cupcakes? I think not.
When I think about churros, I’m usually picturing a summer street fair or a carnival. Ok fine. I’m thinking about funnel cakes but they are very similar! So wouldn’t these churro cupcakes be perfect for a summer backyard barbecue too? I don’t know about you but I am itching to get the patio furniture out and have some outdoor fun with good food and friends! If you are way ahead of me and already planning, consider these churro cupcakes or check out this summer recipe roundup for more ideas.
Reasons to Love Churro Cupcakes
- No Frying. What I like best about them is that they have that awesome churro flavor without having to fry anything! I really really don’t like to fry. Even my Mexican fried ice cream is not actually fried.
- Built in churro dip. I also love dipping churros in chocolate sauce so I topped these off with a delicious chocolate cream cheese frosting. Cream cheese frosting with anything cinnamon pair so well together don’t you think? I’m thinking brioche cinnamon rolls covered in cream cheese icing or spiced carrot cake with cream cheese frosting!
- Mini sized. You don’t have to make them mini if you don’t want to but I find them better for snacking at a party and just like the way they look. The same batter can be used to make regular sized cupcakes too.
If you are not quite ready to make these, don’t search for the recipe later, save it now and PIN it!
More Recipes to Celebrate Cinco de Mayo
For the Cupcakes
- 1 and 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Line the cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape it down with a spatula.
- On low speed, add the egg and sour cream, one at a time until fully incorporated. Mix well on medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla extract to the milk. With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the milk and dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Start and end with dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Scrape it down and mix well on medium speed for another 15 seconds.
- Using a mini scoop, place a scant scoop of batter into each cupcake liner. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out dry.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar in a shallow plate or bowl.
- Dip each cupcake into the mixture while they are still slightly warm to coat the tops with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
For the Frosting
- Using an electric mixer and a paddle attachment, mix the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Scrape it down the sides.
- Mix in 2 cups of confectioners sugar on low speed at first and then increase it to high speed.
- Add the cocoa powder, salt, and milk on low speed and increase it to high speed to incorporate. Scrape down the sides.
- Add as much of the remaining powdered sugar as you like to suit the thickness of the desired frosting. Add it in the same way using low speed at first and increasing to high speed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 50 Serving Size: 2 mini cupcakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 103Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 1g